Spinach and Parmesan Mini Muffins
We love this recipe for Spinach and Parmesan mini muffins, supplied by Julie Grey from Scarborough. Ideal served with a pot of Ringtons Northumbrian Blend loose tea, the strength of flavour works well with the intense parmesan taste.
250g (9oz) plain flour
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp caster sugar
70g (2 ½ oz) Parmesan cheese
100g (3 ½ oz) cooked spinach
1 free range egg
250ml (9fl oz) milk
90ml (3fl oz) vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C (fan assisted)/gas mark 5.
2. Put mini paper muffin-cases into a tray.
3. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, two-thirds of the Parmesan and the spinach which should be cooled and chopped. Put to one side.
4. In a jug, beat together the egg, milk and vegetable oil and pour into the dry ingredients. Using a metal spoon, stir until just combined and there are no traces of dry flour. But don’t beat the mixture too much – it should be a bit lumpy. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases (about half full) and sprinkle with the remaining cheese
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check they are done using a fork – it should come out clean!