Ringtons Strawberries and Cream Tea Cupcakes
Our Strawberries and Cream Tea Cupcakes, developed by Guest Blogger Katie Simmons, are light, fluffy and beautifully moist. An irresistible summer treat!
For the sponge:
4 tsp Ringtons Strawberries & Cream Loose Leaf Tea
50ml boiling water
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the buttercream icing:
100g butter, softened
300g icing sugar
handful of strawberries, finely chopped
2 tsp Ringtons Strawberries & Cream Loose Leaf Tea
1. Steep the loose leaf tea in 50ml of boiling water for 10 minutes, strain and set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, mixing after each addition.
3. Add 1/3 of the flour and mix, then add 1/3 of the tea, reserving 2 tsp, repeat twice more and add in the baking powder until thoroughly combined.
4. Fill each paper case 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set aside on a wire rack to cool fully.
5. Meanwhile make the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until softened, add half the icing sugar and mix, add in the rest of the icing sugar, the chopped strawberries and the reserved 2 tsp of tea and mix until incorporated.
6. Once cool, ice the cakes, I used a piping bag in a swirl pattern, but using a palette knife would also work.
By Guest Blogger, Katie Simmons