Our Strawberries and Cream Tea Cupcakes, developed by Guest Blogger Katie Simmons, are light, fluffy and beautifully moist. An irresistible summer treat!
For the sponge:
4 tsp Ringtons Strawberries & Cream Loose Leaf Tea
50ml boiling water
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the buttercream icing:
100g butter, softened
300g icing sugar
handful of strawberries, finely chopped
2 tsp Ringtons Strawberries & Cream Loose Leaf Tea
1. Steep the loose leaf tea in 50ml of boiling water for 10 minutes, strain and set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, mixing after each addition.
3. Add 1/3 of the flour and mix, then add 1/3 of the tea, reserving 2 tsp, repeat twice more and add in the baking powder until thoroughly combined.
4. Fill each paper case 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set aside on a wire rack to cool fully.
5. Meanwhile make the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until softened, add half the icing sugar and mix, add in the rest of the icing sugar, the chopped strawberries and the reserved 2 tsp of tea and mix until incorporated.
6. Once cool, ice the cakes, I used a piping bag in a swirl pattern, but using a palette knife would also work.
By Guest Blogger, Katie Simmons