A delicious crisp pastry with a tangy lemon filling – the perfect accompaniment to a cup of Earl Grey tea. Recipe provided by Mr R Vickers, Hertfordshire
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING:
3 egg yolks
180g caster sugar
180ml fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest
1. To make the pastry, take a small bowl and whisk together the egg yolk, water and vanilla. Set aside.
2. In another bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt. Rub in the butter to create a dough, add the eggy mixture and knead well. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Flour a work surface and roll out the dough. Line a lightly greased tart tin (min 2cm deep) with the dough and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from freezer and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees (fan assisted)/gas mark 5 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
5. To make the filling, put the egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and mix. Cook until the mixture has thickened, stirring continuously. Take off the heat and pass through a course sieve. Pour the sieved liquid into the cooked pastry case and allow to set in the fridge for 2-3 hours.