Celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day with this delicious Chocolate Orange Loaf cake, made using our very own Seville Marmalade.
175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
Zest of 2 oranges, plus 2-3 tsp of the juice
3 medium eggs, beaten
160g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
100g Ringtons Marmalade
½ tsp baking powder
150g soured cream
For the topping:
1 tbsp of Ringtons Marmalade
50g icing sugar
2-3 tsp of orange juice (see above)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, fan 150°C, gas mark 3, grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and zest until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs. Fold the marmalade into the mixture with the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soured cream until evenly mixed.
3. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Remove from the oven. Reserve 1 tsp of topping marmalade and spread the rest over the cake. Allow to cool.
4. Mix the remaining marmalade with the icing sugar and enough orange juice to make the icing. Drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow to set, then slice to serve.
- When gradually adding the beaten eggs, add a tablespoon of flour if it begins to curdle.
- Once you have the mix in the tin, bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until the cake is risen and a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Remove the cake from the oven, reserve 1 teaspoon of the topping marmalade and spread the remainder over the cake then allow to cool in the tin completely.
- Turn the cake out of the tin and place on a wire rack.
- Mix the remaining marmalade with the icing sugar and enough orange juice to make a thick pouring icing. Drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow to set, then slice to serve.
Click here to shop our Marmalade